Monday, November 26, 2012

The Building of the Indecisive Roombox - Part 1

I am an indecisive person. I mentioned in a previous post that it took 5 coats of paint for me to decide the perfect beige for our garage door. I take after my mother in that regard. Case in point—25 years ago, my mother and I started a 9-room Victorian dollhouse. The shell is still sitting in my mother's basement; furniture, wallpaper, and a myriad of findings all attest to the plan to finish the dollhouse. However our indecisiveness about color schemes, wallpaper, flooring, etc., prevented us from moving forward. Well, then came college, Mr. True2Scale, career, etc. (luckily I was decisive about those things!). But, the dollhouse was never finished. Now, it seems unlikely that the time and space needed to finish the house will ever be found.

That's why I've started this roombox for my mother. I'd like her to use some of the goodies that we've purchased over the years while we attended the many shows together. This seams like a simple idea, right? Well, until I decided to complicate it a bit...

The Indecisive Roombox
I think that it will be much more fun if my mother may change the rooms to fit her moods. If she's bored of looking at the parlor, she may slide a kitchen or a bedroom scene into place! The concept is simple enough, but the execution may prove a bit tricky!

Here is what I'm starting with, the Chateau Roombox from Goliath Miniatures. My mother picked it out when we were attending a miniature show in Chicago. At that time, it was to be her birthday present. However I'm hoping that I'll be able to give the completed roombox to her as a surprise Christmas gift.

The Chateau Roombox from Goliath Miniatures.


This is a really nice roombox to work with. It's very well built, and the plexiglass panel in front slides out for easy access to the inside.

A few hours of sunshine and unusually warm weather today allowed me to paint the inside and outside with a first coat of paint. The inside will obviously be covered, but I wanted to provide a nice surface for the tapewire to stick. My extensive collection of house paint came in handy for mixing the creamy color, which is comprised of: upstairs bathroom ceiling ivory, downstairs bathroom cabinets white, 3rd painting of garage door beige, and just a hint of front door chocolate brown. Keeping all of those cans of paint now seems almost justifiable!

Next step will be deciding on wall, floor and ceiling designs, and installing the LED lighting goodies that I've ordered from Carl at Creative Reproductions 2 Scale.


Other posts in this series:

11 comments:

  1. I can see it being a few different things. At first glance it reminds me of a old roman stage or theater.

    I can't wait to see what direction you'll take it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I hear feel the same way when it comes to the finishing projects - indecisiveness eats me, lol..., and as a result I am overwhelmed with unfinished projects... This is really a nice roombox and whatever you will do with it, I am sure your Mom will love it! Good luck with your new project! Mini hugs, Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a pretty box. One day when I feel I can do justice to one I would love to have one. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an original roombox. I'm curiuos to see it finished.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great roombox, can't wait to see what it will become, can't quite imagine how you would make the scenes interchangeable though. You may be indecisive about color, but you're definitely not lacking in patience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny about indecision. I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. Look at you, going to Paris! NICE! See you in Sarasota.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a nice start, I hope it will be ready in time for Christmas! :)
    Ps: your miniature kits on Etsy are fantastic! :)
    Big hugs from Sweden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful idea, being able to interchange room settings could be the perfect solution not only for the indecisive but also for those short of space. Just one little box that can be bedroom one day, sitting room the next. This could start a trend Carol :) The detail on the front of the box is a delight so it'll be a wonderful addition to a room. Lucky mum!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is looking fabulous so far. I can't wait to see what you do to it. I completely understand the frustration of indecision. This roombox will give your mother lots to play with. Also roomboxes take up so little room to display than full-size dolls houses. I am a convert! I have featured your icicles and plates on my blog as part of my own Christmas roombox in the making. Your products are always so perfect! Best wishes, Carol :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a fantastic room box! And I'm glad to hear I am not the only indecisive person!

    Jody
    Peach Blossom Hill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can´t wait to see what you do with this fantastic
    box!
    Greetings
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete